Jul 2, 2007

Surprise, Surprise

My brother recently made a post regarding companies using Flickr as a way to get photos for free in their articles etc. I haven't had much of this happen to me, my only experience was being asked to use this photo, and I happily agreed. It did come as a big surprise however when I was reading this Torontoist post, and upon scrolling down BAM, "WTF that's my photo... oh there is my name".

My brother uses a Creative Commons licence on his photos, which allows anyone to use his photos without asking him, as long as they credit him. My photos however have an All Rights Reserved copyright notice meaning that if one wants to use my photo they must ask me first. This is why I was so surprised to see my picture on the Torontoist. I now realize I posted that photo to the Torontoist flickr pool, which in a way can be seen as giving them permission to use it. However, it would still have been nice to at least get an email from them. Just a though.

3 comments:

Slava said...

Haha, that's so awesome! Congrats :)

Anonymous said...

woot woot!
two cheers for eugene
olga.

David Topping said...

Eugene,

Re: "I now realize I posted that photo to the Torontoist flickr pool, which in a way can be seen as giving them permission to use it. However, it would still have been nice to at least get an email from them. Just a though."

On our homepage of our Flickr pool, (http://flickr.com/groups/torontoist/) it says:

"By submitting photos to this group, you grant us permission to show your photos on Torontoist (but we'll always give you credit and link back to the image; we're all about giving the shots in the group as much exposure as we can)."

We feel that this is pretty fair; we would e-mail everyone if we could, but we expect that most people in our Flickr pool are reading us semi-regularly enough to notice when their photos are being used. If you strongly disagree with this policy, however, you should probably remove your photos from our group.

Please e-mail me if you have any additional questions.

Thanks,

David Topping
Editor-in-Chief, Torontoist