Jul 14, 2007

Shards of America

Untitled by Phil Bergerson

Before I was accepted into Ryerson, I by chance discovered the Kodak Lecture series. The series revolves around several lectures at Ryerson, by notable photographers. The first one I attended was by Chris Buck, who I managed to con into reviewing my portfolio. He signed a poster of his saying "Hey Eugene, keep up the portfolio", I did and here I am today, that poster still hangs in my room. I found out that all of the lectures are recorded and are available as webcasts on the Ryerson website. Through this new source of photography information I learned of Phil Bergerson.

Phil stood out not only because of his work but also because he was a Ryerson professor. He had completed his series Shards of America and the core of his lecture was explaining the project and in particular how the individual image were taken. After watching the lecture, I went out and bought the book. The image are mostly shot in suburb towns, the majority being of window displays that have survived the sands of time, with some variation. The book is read like any, from front to back, with a definite sequence to the images, as your eyes flow seamlessly from one page to the next. The images often contain a sense of irony, juxtaposed objects playing together to provide commentary on America and it's values. I continue to go back to this book every once in a while to rediscover the photos. To my knowledge Phil Bergerson will not be teaching at Ryerson next year, which is really unfortunate, as the few chances I had to overhear his critiques have been some of the most insightful pieces of information that I've picked up last year.

No comments: