Mar 24, 2007

Jesper Ulvelius - Photographer


Jesper Ulvelius is a photographer from Stockholm, Sweden, that I stumbled upon quite a while back. I immediately loved his self-portrait series titled Jesper. At the time I didn't bookmark work I liked, for whatever reason, and so I forgot about him. Then a couple weeks ago, I was browsing a recently discovered blog I Heart Photograph and it featured him and his self-portraits for which, after doing a quick Google search, I see he has received some notoriety. The thing that appeals to me about his self-portraits, is how completely unglamorous he is. It's as if someone walked up to him, handed the shutter-remote, and told him to press it. There is no attempt to beautify or romanticize himself and in a strange way it is this that makes his photos so beautiful and romantic.

To check out his work you can go to his main page, http://www.ulvelius.se/ or there is another section of his site, not linked to by anywhere on the main page that's called The Diary. This section also contains a bio and a links page if you get to the end of it. Although I'm not 100 percent sure I think The Diary might be a blog, that is what other sites hinted at, although I'm not sure how often it's updated as there is no reference to dates, only one way to find out.

No comments: